Cacao Pistachio Florentine & Mint Ice Cream Sandwich
From issue 5 of News from the Kitchen
- 2 cups cashews
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 cup almond milk*
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup tightly-packed fresh mint leaves
- Scrape the inside of the vanilla pod, and discard the outer part. Alternatively, you can put the outer part in water to infuse, making ‘vanilla water’.
- Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth.
- Pour mixture into 4 round, equal-sized moulds and place in the freezer to set. I used metal rings with plastic film stretched over the base of them.
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 3 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1/4 cup melted cacao butter
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- 1/2 cup pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
- Blend all ingredients except the cacao nibs and pistachio nuts in a high-speed blender until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in the cacao nibs and pistachios.
- Use a spoon to form 8 florentines (circles as big as the ice cream moulds you used) on some nonstick paper and place in the freezer to set. If you haven’t got enough room in your freezer to lay them out flat, you can put them in the fridge first, until they are firm enough to stack up in the freezer.
- Remove the ice cream and florentines from the freezer 1 – 2 hours before serving.
- Assemble the sandwiches with one florentine on the bottom and one on the top of the ice cream that you removed from the moulds.
- Decorate the outside of the mint ice cream with some more chopped pistachio nuts.
* The almond milk you need for this recipe can be be made by blending 1 cup soaked almonds in 2 cups of pure water. You should then strain the mixture through a nut milk bag, or a fine-mesh sieve if you don’t have a nut milk bag.
Here are just some of the recipes I’d like to share with you:
- Raw Nachos
- Curried Swede Risotto
- Courgette Fettuccine
- Cacao Crepes