Carrot & Orange Cake
From Issue 10 of News from the Kitchen
For the cake
- 3 cups carrots, finely grated
- 2 cups pecans, ground in a food processor
- 1/4 cup raisins, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice*
- Date paste**
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
* Mixed spice is a blend of cinnamon, coriander seed, caraway, nutmeg, ginger and cloves. If you’re in the United States, you can use pumpkin pie spice.
** Make the date paste by grinding 1 cup soft dates and 1/2 cup orange juice in a food processor until smooth.
- Thoroughly mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Shape into individual cakes or press into one large cake, ready to be cut at the end.
- Place on a dehydrator sheet and dehydrate at 115 degrees F for 8 – 12 hours. If you don’t have a dehydrator, you can simply place the cake into the fridge to set.
For the frosting
- 1 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons coconut nectar or honey
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth.
- Place in fridge to achieve a thicker consistency and spread on cake when you’re ready to serve.
- Garnish cake with nutmeg.
Here are just some of the recipes I’d like to share with you:
- Raw Nachos
- Curried Swede Risotto
- Courgette Fettuccine
- Cacao Crepes