Portabello Kebabs with Asian Slaw
This is a really tasty, quick and easy recipe that is packed full of flavours. I really love the way the slaw provides a creamy crunch, along with the marinated kebab veggies. Don’t let the simplicity of the way this looks deceive you — it’s a truly satisfying meal that I’m sure will impress anyone.
For the kebabs
- 3 large portabellos
- 1 small red onion
- 1 zucchini (courgette)
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup pineapple
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground celery seed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flax oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Chop the vegetables into 1″ squares.
- Blend the pineapple, tamari, ginger, fennel seed, celery seed, olive oil, flax oil. sesame oil, and salt; then transfer to a bowl. Add the vegetables to the bowl and marinate for a few minutes.
- Make small skewers, alternating the vegetables on each wooden skewer to have a nice colour and texture variation.
- Optional: Place in the dehydrator for 2 – 3 hours at 115 degrees F.
For the Asian slaw
- 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1/2 head Napa cabbage, sliced thin
- 1 medium carrot, ‘ribboned’ with a peeler
- 1/2 red bell pepper, julienned fine
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, julienned fine
- 1 Thai chili, minced fine
- 2 green onions, finely sliced
- Small handful cilantro, minced
- 2 tablespoons chiffonaded mint
- Blend first 5 ingredients in a high-speed blender.
- Combine with remaining ingredients in a bowl.
- Serve with warm kebabs straight from the dehydrator.
Here are just some of the recipes I’d like to share with you:
- Raw Nachos
- Curried Swede Risotto
- Courgette Fettuccine
- Cacao Crepes