Marbled Chocolate & Orange Tavoletta
If you missed the first issue of my eZine News from the Kitchen, you will have missed this recipe, so I am making it available to all here.
For the crust
- 1 cup almonds
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup carob powder
- 1/2 cup dates
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- First process nuts, cinnamon, salt and carob powder into small crumbs.
- Add dates, coconut oil and vanilla extract and process again.
- Press into the bottom of 9″ square pan and place in fridge whilst working on filling.
For the marbling
- 5 tablespoons melted cacao butter
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 tablespoon coconut nectar or honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup water
- Mix all ingredients in a high-power blender until completely smooth.
For the filling
- 2 cups cashews
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1 cup coconut nectar (or 1/2 cup maple syrup and 1/4 cup xylitol)
- 1 & 1/2 cups grated cacao butter
- 2 cups cacao powder
- Before making this chocolate filling, you should place the grated cacao butter in the dehydrator to melt. Alternatively you can melt it in a bowl over another bowl of hot water.
- Mix the cashews, orange juice, orange zest, vanilla, and coconut nectar (or maple syrup plus xylitol) in a Vitamix until smooth.
- Add cacao butter and cacao powder, and blend again.
- Pour chocolate mixture onto base and use a spatula to achieve a level surface.
- Drizzle the marbling mixture over the top in lines using a plastic bottle or a spoon. Drag a toothpick across the top to create the marble effect.