Broccoli in Hoisini Sauce with Parsnip "Rice"
From Issue 21 of News from the Kitchen
Serves 1 – 2 people
For the broccoli
- 5 cups (500 g/1.2 lb) small broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Mix all ingredients together a in large bowl and massage with your hands until the broccoli becomes softer. Then leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the broccoli to a nonstick dehydrator tray and dehydrate for 4 hours at 105 degrees F. You may find it useful (but not essential) to turn the tray around halfway through. as the broccoli closest to the fan will dry quicker.
For the sauce
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon yacon syrup or agave
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 teaspoons tamari
- 1/2 of a garlic clove
- 1/2 of a small de-seeded chili
- 1/2 cm cube of fresh ginger
- Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender.
- Mix with dehydrated broccoli when ready to serve.
- Serve with the parsnip “rice”.
For the parsnip “rice”
- 1.5 cups (275 g/10oz) peeled parsnips
- 1.5 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon macadamia nuts
- 1 tablespoon light miso
- 1 tablespoon cold-pressed sesame oil
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- Grind all ingredients, except the spring onions, in a food processor until fluffy and rice-like.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in the chopped spring onions.