Plant-based, cashew nacho cheese full of healthy probiotics, and perfect for your favourite chip and sals.
This raw vegan nacho cheese is extremely moreish, but you don’t have to feel bad about tucking into it with your favourite chips on movie night, because it’s full of healthy fats from the cashews and probiotics from the simple fermenting process.
Once made, this will last for up to a week in the fridge, so if you have any left over, it can be used to drizzle over a salad, or used as a dip for crudités.
Feel free to spice this up a little with some cayenne or chipotle chilli powder if that takes your fancy, or throw in some chives and fresh coriander (cilantro).
Raw Vegan Cashew Nacho Cheese
Nutrition (For one serving)
- 2 cups cashews soaked 8 hours
- 1 cup orange pepper juice (about 2 orange bell peppers)
- 1 tsp probiotics
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Blend the soaked cashews, pepper juice and probiotics in a high-speed blender until completely smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl and cover with baking parchment.
- Put this in a warm place to culture for around 12 hours. Somewhere like on top of a dehydrator (not inside it) or a warm cupboard is perfect.
- You’ll know it’s cultured successfully because the mixture will have air bubbles and a fermented odour to it and slightly sour taste.
- Transfer to a food processor or bowl and add the nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder and salt. Grind or whisk until well combined, scraping down the sides as you go.
- Serve with your favourite chips or crackers and some salsa.
- Will keep covered in the fridge for up to a week.