Great for festive fun, or when you want something really satisfying. This Portobello Meatloaf with Sweet Balsamic Sauce straight out of the dehydrator is enough for up 6 people.
If you’re discovering this recipe around the Holidays, I also recommend you check out these Mince Pies. If you’re looking for more raw food ideas for Christmas or Thanksgiving, check out our online course Holiday Raw Foods.
What to serve this with? I’d recommend a hearty Cranberry, Apple & Kale Salad.
If you want to get this made ahead of time, freeze the meatloaf and tomato sauce a couple of weeks before the day, then defrost in the dehydrator and spread the tomato sauce over the top the night before and continue to dehydrate until ready to serve.
Portobello Meatloaf with Sweet Balsamic Sauce
Nutrition (For one serving)
For the “roasted” mushrooms and peppers
- 9 ozs portobello mushrooms
- 3 red peppers
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup walnuts soaked
- 1 cup almonds soaked
- 1/2 onion
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp thyme
- 2 tsp sage
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs a combination of thyme, marjoram, parsley, oregano, sage and basil
- 6 ozs cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 red bell pepper deseeded and chopped
- 1/4 red onion half of it chopped and the other half thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic peeled
- ¼ tsp black pepper ground
- ½ tbsp fennel seeds ground
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp paprika sweet variety, not spicy
- Slice the mushrooms into approx 1 cm (1/2 inch) slices and the peppers into approx 1⁄2 cm (1/4 inch) strips.
- Combine the lemon juice, olive oil, minced garlic and salt in a bowl. Add the sliced mushrooms and peppers to the bowl and mix.
- Place mushrooms and peppers on a non-stick dehydrator sheet, dehydrate for 3 hours at 115°F.
- Grind all ingredients in a food processor and process until thoroughly mixed.
- Add the dehydrated mushrooms and peppers and process again leaving the mushrooms and peppers chunky.
- Remove from the food processor and form into 2 loaves, approx 2cm tall and 4cm wide.
- Dehydrate for 12 hours at 115F with the tomato sauce (the tomato sauce is in a bowl as instructed below).
- Place all ingredients into a high speed blender and process until smooth.
- Place into a large bowl so the sauce has a larger surface area, which will help it reduce quicker.
- Place the entire bowl of sauce into the dehydrator on 115 and allow to dehydrate 12 hours, stirring occasionally, or until it’s reduced by half and is thick.
- Spread an even layer of the sauce on top of the meatloaf (which by this point has done most of its drying) and dehydrate at 115F for a further 2 hours.
- Serve warm from the dehydrator.
🎥 Join my YouTube channel. Join as a 'Supporter' to support free videos, or ''Supporter+' to get access to YouTube livestream replays.
🌱 Take a raw food course. Deep dives into all areas of raw food preparation with support via exclusive forums.
❤️ Subscribe to All-Access on this site to unlock premium recipes and lessons.